Quarter Castle Publishing is looking for a traditional fantasy tale.
The Overall Guidelines
- The author must live in Nova Scotia.
- The manuscript can be no more than 120,000 words.
- The story must follow the traditional fantasy genre. Urban fantasy, space fantasy or horror (vampires, zombies) will NOT be considered. To learn more about what Quarter Castle Publishing considers traditional fantasy, see below.
- The story must be character driven.
- The story can NOT contain explicit sex or graphic violence. One or two sex scenes are permitted, but they must occur naturally. Of course there’s going to be violence, but it can’t be graphic, torturous or created just for violence to be included. Just like sex, the violence must have a purpose and occur naturally.
There is no deadline for submissions. They will be accepted until the story we seek is found.
Who can enter?
The call for submissions is open to all residents of Nova Scotia. First-time authors and seasoned veterans are welcome to submit their manuscript.
Only entries in English are accepted.
What is the length?
The manuscript must be between 75,000 and 120,000 words.
6 to 8 weeks
Check List for Submission
- Cover Letter
- First 10,000 words of a completed novel (ending in a paragraph, or if the chapter is about to end, include the final paragraphs)
- Self-addressed stamped envelope (#10) or post card, or an email address (for a reply)
A Word About Traditional Fantasy
Quarter Castle Publishing defines Traditional fantasy as sword and sorcery, magic and mystical creatures, untamed and archaic worlds with mountains, forests and seas. Cities exist but in primitive state and are not as common as towns and villages. These cities are often built around castles or other strong holds.
To learn more about this definition, visit Traditional Fantasy Defined [Link Posted Soon]
But above all the setting and magic, the story must be character driven. In other words, make us fall in love (or in hate) with them, particular the main characters.
People have cursed throughout the centuries in every culture. It’s human nature. The fantasy world, however, is unique. You won’t find many of the curse words used today on Earth. So be creative. The inhabitants are allowed to curse, but not in the same manner.
Please read and follow before submitting
The submitted part of the manuscript should be edited and polished by the author to ensure their best work is presented.
Stories must be original and previously unpublished online and in print.
Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please make note of this in the cover letter.
All submissions must be made through postal mail to
Quarter Castle Publishing, 1787 Highway 2, Milford, Nova Scotia B0N 1Y0
The cover letter should include…
- Two or three-sentence biography: Let us know who you are and your writing experience. Don’t worry if you’ve never before been published.
- Novel Pitch: Tell us in a paragraph or two what makes your story great.
- Word Count for the completed manuscript
Send the first 10,000 words of the novel in the following format. End the submission in a paragraph. If the chapter will end soon, include the remaining paragraphs.
- Font: 12 point, Times New Roman
- Spacing between lines: 1.5 spacing
- Spacing between sentences: Single
- Spaces between paragraphs: None
- Paragraph Indents: 0.5
- Margins: One inch on all sides
- Number the pages
- Printed on one side only
- Paper Size: 8.5 x 11 inches
- Paper Colour: White
- Include the author’s name in the header or footer of each page
Do not send the only copy of your story.
Do not send the entire manuscript. If we’re interested, we’ll request the rest of it.
A title page is NOT necessary. Simply put the story title and the author’s name on the first page, leave two blank lines and start the story.
Entries will not be returned. Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope or a post card for a response. An email address will also be accepted.
The synopsis is a brief summary of the story containing all the important parts. Don’t leave out major details vital to the plot. Tell us in either paragraph form or point form, the major events that make this story happen.
Many writers stress about a synopsis, but this is unnecessary. It is taking the story and reducing it to two to three pages. That’s it. An easy way to do this is to look at each chapter and write a paragraph or two explaining what happens in it. Some chapters may need only one paragraph while others may need four. These paragraphs need only be two to six sentences long.
Please use the same submission format (12 point, Times New Roman font, 1.5 spacing) as outlined for the manuscript. Ensure the author’s name is on each page
Do NOT send us the following
- The entire manuscript
- Unfinished novels
- Fan fiction
- Collections of short stories
- Stories that fit into the following genres and include the following material: pornography, erotica, bondage, violence against or sex with minors, graphic violence or graphic sex scenes, bestiality and hateful material.
Quarter Castle Publishing reserves the right to refuse any material that does not meet their vision for publishing.
Quarter Castle Publishing is not responsible for lost entries.