Quarter Castle Publishing is currently open to submissions of fictional short stories involving the Halifax Explosion.
The goal is to pay tribute to the many victims, survivors and heroes who emerged from the disaster, to remember their stories and to educate readers further on the life-changing event of the twin cities of Halifax and Dartmouth.
Submissions will be accepted between January 1, 2016 and March 31, 2017 (Must be post marked no later than March 31, 2017).
Who can Submit their Stories?
Submission is open to all residents of Atlantic Canada. First-time authors and seasoned veterans are welcome to submit their short stories.
Only entries in English are accepted.
What is the length?
Short stories must be between 1,000 and 6,000 words.
4 to 6 weeks
$40.00 per accepted short story, plus one copy of the collection.
A Word About Theme and Genre
The short stories can be about a fictional character directly involved in the tragedy. Or the horrific event can be used as the backdrop of the story, but some details about the explosion must appear within the story. The story can be set immediately before the explosion, during it or in the aftermath.
We are accepting stories that fit the contemporary genre (No fantasy, science fiction, etc).
The story must be character driven. In other words, make us fall in love (or in hate) with them.
The story can NOT contain explicit sex or graphic violence.
People swore in 1917, but they weren’t so public about it, and they sometimes used different words. If you plan to have a character with colourful language, please do the research to see what was acceptable. Keep in mind certain words are powerful only when used sparingly. Do not litter the story with the F-bomb (yes, it was there in 1917) because with each use, its power weakens.
Genres and subjects that will NOT be accepted: pornography, erotica, bondage, violence against or sex with minors, graphic violence or graphic sex scenes, bestiality and hateful material. Quarter Castle Publishing reserves the right to refuse any material that does not meet their vision for publishing.
Please read and follow before submitting
Individuals are welcome to submit up to three short stories. Short stories should be edited and polished by the author to ensure their best work is presented.
Stories must be original and previously unpublished online and in print.
All submissions must be made through postal mail to
Quarter Castle Publishing, 1787 Highway 2, Milford, Nova Scotia B0N 1Y0
- Font: 12 point, Times New Roman
- Spacing between lines: 1.5 spacing
- Spacing between sentences: Single
- Spaces between paragraphs: None
- Paragraph Indents: 0.5
- Margins: One inch on all sides
- Number the pages
- Printed on one side only
- Paper Size: 8.5 x 11 inches
- Paper Colour: White
- Include the author’s name in the header or footer of each page
- Do not send the only copy of your story.
- Please include a cover letter to let us know who you are, to introduce your story and to state the word count.
- A title page is NOT necessary.
Entries will not be returned. Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope or a post card or an email address for a response.
Authors whose stories are accepted must agree to the following
- Send accepted submissions electronically through email upon request.
- Provide the name in which they’d like to use with their short story in the collection.
- Confirm mailing address to receive one (1) copy of the short story collection in which their short story appears.
- Provide a short biography (limit 150 words) to be included in the collection in which their short story appears and on Quarter Castle Publishing’s website with regard to the collection. Authors are encouraged to include links to their blog, website or author Facebook page.
- Provide a quality author photograph (JPEG or TIFF) to be included in the collection in which their short story appears and on Quarter Castle Publishing’s website with regard to the collection.
- Sign a contract giving Quarter Castle Publishing the rights to publish the accepted short story as noted below in the Rights and Copyright section.
Rights and Copyright
By submitting to Quarter Castle Publishing’s call for submissions for the Halifax Explosion short story collection, authors agree to give consent for stories to be edited.
Authors grant Quarter Castle Publishing exclusive rights to publish their short stories in the Halifax Explosion short story collection (working title) for one year, commencing on the date of publication (to be announced). After the one-year period ends (to be announced), rights for the short stories return to the authors with the understanding Quarter Castle Publishing has the non-exclusive right to continue publishing the short stories in the future in paperback and eBook format.
Authors will be required to sign a contract to this effect before their story is published. Only after the signed contract is received will the short story be included in the Halifax Explosion short story collection.
Authors are responsible for providing the correct mailing address to receive their copy of the collection. Mailing addresses must be provided no later than November 30, 2017.
By submitting to Quarter Castle Publishing’s call for submissions for the Halifax Explosion short story collection, each entrant accepts and agrees to these rules and all decisions of Quarter Castle Publishing, which shall be final and legally binding on entrants in all matters relating to the call for submissions. Quarter Castle Publishing may disqualify any person who violates the rules.
Quarter Castle Publishing is not responsible for lost entries.